Sunday, January 23, 2011

Aquatic

Recently I have notice that I have turned into a goldfish....

While watching Ponyo (a Japanese version of Little Mermaid), I realized that I have done the reverse since having kids. I (and by I, I mean my brain) have turned into a fish.
Since having kids my brain works on short bursts of memory. A goldfish is known to have a memory span of 15 seconds - how they determined this is fascinating to me and when I have the time or brain rest I will research this. I truly believe that my life is like a goldfish in a fish bowl, as the example below will demonstrate.

"Oh my goodness I need to vacuum the floor. I can't remember the last time I vacuumed this floor" As I get up to get the vacuum I find Eldin picking up a crumb and proclaim that he has to eat it. "No Eldin, do not eat that. We don't eat anything off the floor! Put it in the trash and I will get you a snack" Get in the kitchen to get Eldin grapes and remember that I needed to make a grocery list because we are out of items, including grapes. "Okay Eldin we are now going to have raisins for a snack since they are a form of grapes and currently available. Let's get your bowl out for your grapes, I mean raisins". After giving Eldin the cup of raisins I stand in the kitchen thinking that there was something I was doing on my way to the snacks but can't remember it. I then decide to get a drink and realize (again) that I'm out of juice and need a grocery list. Okay, I need to do this before I forget again....I pour myself a glass of water and head to the drawer for a pen and paper. I open the drawer and then stand there looking into the deep fathom abyss of the junk drawer and wonder: "What did I need in this drawer and why was I here?" Baby starts crying before I can truly search for this answer. I find Ellis rolling his way across the living headed for under the couch in need of help. I walk over and pick him up and tell him that I'm sorry and that, "Man, this floor needs to be vacuumed".

I am forgetting so much in such a short period of time. If I have the time to look back on the day sometimes I can see that I am circling the bowl and coming back to items that I "discover anew" again and again. While some might be thinking what a downer this comparision is I would like to present you with the bright side of this craziness of motherhood.

-Life is NOT boring (also noted in this blog address)
-Don't have time to worry about things since my brain dumps it in short intervals
-These are just things and will be done when needed

Thankfully I'm also like Dory in Finding Nemo, in that while I have short term memory dysfunction, I remember the important things. There are times where I have to take a bit to remember, but in the end I remember or have that constant

Jesus is Lord of Lords and King of Kings and loves me madly.

So, if you find yourself bored (WHAT?!?), stressing about something a lot, or feel life is mundane and predictable I would challenge you to have an Aquatic day and take a swim around the bowl as a goldfish.

No comments:

Post a Comment